Activation and Mobilization Checklist
 Before You Leave
 -Notify the school and your professor/instructor that you have been activated and present the appropriate administrator with a copy of your orders.

-Be sure to make contact either in person or via telephone. Leaving a voice-mail or e-mail message is insufficient because further information may be required.

-Keep a record of names, dates, individuals, and a brief summary of your conversations with the school and lending institution.

-Notify your school's VA counselor that you have been activated and present your activation orders. Discuss the appropriate course of action with the VA Counselor. Note: Do not withdraw from school until you have your orders.

-Contact your student loan lending institution. It is your responsibility to follow through with any procedure the lender indicates.

-Call your Education Office. If you encounter any problems resolving your academic status, request assistance from your Education coordinator.

Note: To ensure proper credit and to prevent any financial loss to the soldier, these steps must be completed prior to departure.
 When You Return
 -Contact the VA Certifying Official at your school to determine your eligibility for the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP - Chapter 1607), the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), or the Active Duty GI Bill (MGIB-AD Chapter 30), and to establish reinstatement of your GI Bill benefits.

-To determine your eligibility for MGIB-AD Chapter 30 and or the Post-9/11 GI Bill, contact your campus VA rep.

-Upon redeployment, if you plan to continue your education, contact your college admissions professional to find out what steps you must take to re-enroll. If you withdrew from school, you may be required to re-apply in order to get back into their system. Contact your school's admissions counselor for application details and to determine your class standing. Note: Depending on how long you were away from school, this process may differ from that of a first time applicant.

-Re-establish contact with your academic advisor to discuss continuation of your degree program and applicable credit for your military experience and training.

-Contact your campus VA rep and/or financial aid office to determine eligibility for tuition assistance and how to apply.
 Montgomery GI Bill and Student Loan Information for Activated Guard-Reservists
 Soldiers in receipt of Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits who are forced to withdraw from school for activation purposes will have their entitlements restored for the period of the term completed. For example, if a soldier began school in September and was called to active duty in November, the months of September and October will not count against their entitlement.

Soldiers must notify the school that they are being activated. They must also notify the VA rep at the school they attend. They should bring a copy of their orders. If the soldier does not officially withdraw from school and notify the VA rep, he/she will not be able to recoup the months of entitlements lost.

If you have a student loan, notify your lender that you have been activated. Lenders will automatically postpone the student loan payments of borrowers during the period of the borrower's active duty service. Borrowers with subsidized student loans will be eligible to have the federal government assume the interest payments on their loans while they are on military duty. The U.S. Department of Education Web site contains information and guidelines regarding loan relief for persons affected by military mobilization. Any activated soldier receiving Federal Tuition Assistance should notify the VA rep at their home campus.